Thursday, December 07, 2006

Flotsam

Back to the grind of the day-in/day-out Job from last week's Snow Job, but the routine is comforting, though the commute is still a bear. Still, nice to have it. Buffing up my resume and taking it around various places on the Island is my new project for when the Temp goes away, plus there's an offer pending on something else.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K's taking off (again), this time for an oft-delayed visit to Mom, as well as another visit to friend Pat. When we went down to Tacoma, K had just heard that Pat was going in for emergency surgery the next Tuesday. Aneurysm. Brain. Risky. She couldn't go down there with all that was going on previously, but it was delayed a week (delaying emergency surgery a week...what's up with that?), so she's paying a visit, stiffening upper-lips. My father had an operation for an aneurysm on his aorta way back in 1976. He was 65 at the time and made it through, so Pat's prospects are good, but it's still a grinder of an operation with quite a bit of recovery-time. It's this Tuesday. Keep a good thought.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of my father, this is December 7th. You can read a bit about what he was doing on this date in 1941 here (starting 9th paragraph in yellow-the "Let me interject paragraph") and why, as a result, I'm here to link to it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christmas decorations are going up around the town of Mossback, and when I'm driving home at night a thought strikes me--what do the real deer think of these glowing "light-bulb" reindeer on people's front lawns? Do they recognize them as the forms of deer? Do they look at them and wonder what they can do to avoid such a fate? Or do they think of them as some form of deer-deity? Do they know their gods can be bought at Home Depot?

Probably, they see them just as bright lights and try to avoid them...and the things don't even smell like deer, so... So much for those random thoughts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rented "The DaVinci Code" last night. It's a cable-watcher, but better yet, the book is a fun read (well, fun with some exceptions made for self-flagellation, horrific faith-based murders, mutilation, and deep skepticism running over your dogma), so read the book, skip the movie. Some of Opie's alternate-universe-imagery during some of the long explanations was quite inspired, though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a couple of reviews still to write--just haven't been "into" writing them, but maybe I'm also thinking about them too hard. I've also been using my writing time to go further west with Lewis and Clark, and dang, if they haven't made their way to the "Ocian" and built Ft. Clatsop. The next chapter is all about their depressing winter spent in the Northwest. "O! The joy!" <\sarcasm> Yeah, I think I know how it'll go. I might even skip this chapter. Lewis didn't write much at this point of the journey. The speculation being that, having achieved the Pacific Ocean, he sunk into a funk and just stopped writing. The PNW will do that to ya. Or, maybe he was taking the time reading a book about famous explorers rather than writing (Fictitious Clark entry--"Lewis spinds day reding book ubout DeGama. Makes me writ all day. Kramps in hand turrble. Ow. Goin out now to kik Seaman.") Whiny-ass Lewis. Readin' instead of writin'.

History. It repeats itself.


But then, so did my Grandmother...all the time. And now, she's history.


Am I repeating myself?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve B is taking time from writing comments on this very blog to pay a visit this weekend. There might be a get-together. We'll see.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And a belated Happy Birthday to my Seester from Monday. I'm stopping by there tonight to celebrate. She's quite the inspiration to me. Thanks, sis'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope to see you this weekend. Steve B