Monday, October 02, 2006

Why I Look Like Hell

Busy weekend. Katheryn and Smokey were out of town, visiting--from reports, he's out in the wilderness becoming an honest-to-dog cattle-dog. He'd better not herd my shoes when he gets back, is all I ask. Nephew Evan von Trapp was in town on his way to Baton Rouge for some work. We met up with his sister (my niece) and my sister (my sister) for some downtown dining and catching up. Then, while Annie headed for the hills, we met up again on Friday (after sister and neph did some late-season) kayaking for in-car dining at the local Burgermaster. Good eats and good times. Saturday, I spent doing a bunch of relaxing (I approached the weekend feeling exhausted) and computer-wrangling, trying to back up a bunch of free-lance, and do some phone-calling and recruiting for another gig, and also do some last-minute editing, second-guessing and re-linking.* He took off on Sunday, and for some reason I didn't get his messages trying to get hold of me. Well, we'll compare notes later. He's road-tripping, meeting his dad in Austin, and from there, onto Louisiana. Good to see him and do family stuff. It's wierd when you've got family and you meet up and they're carrying computers over their shoulders, though. A bit like if everyone was carrying a slide-projector to show you their last trip. My, how things have changed....

And that was just one of the many subjects passed over when walaka and I got together with Farmer Scott for his birthday-brunch. Lotta talk. Lotta trampin'. It was good to get together and hang out, which we did most of the day it was so enjoyable. But don't take my word for it. Wal' talks about it over here. The first time I'd been to the new digs and massage center, which is very nice...though for some reason it's missing a bannister....and has a sunlight-bathing cat. Unfortunately, some 50-year old dormant metagene having to do with responsibility kicked in and we went off in our different directions. I cooked, I cleaned, I looked for screws (what did we do with the ones for the door-hinge we were going to replace?), I built a fire, I futzed (my specialty), and did more hard-drive scrubbing. The result? Bed at 4 am. FOUR AY-EM. Then, up at 7:30....(no, let's be accurate here) crawl like a snivelling, shambling mockery of a man at 7:30 to make my way to the 1'sn'0's Ranch. Good thing I mis-timed the hot-water heater cycle and got a cold shower this morning! Ooorg. Sleep. Tonight. Cook a pizza for Katheryn when she gets home, then sleep. sleeeeeep.
Zzz
zzz
zz zz
zz
z.

* As a result, there are new links for things I've already done...like a video for "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." (YAY!) and I added another Chuck Jones cartoon (couldn't resist, maybe I'll add a couple more....), and I did a little clean-up on a couple essays here and there. Aesthetics, mostly.
This week: It sure piles up, as my father used to say: Another day, Another hero, and another hole in the "Anytime Movies" list filled.

No comments: