Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fie on Goodness! Fie!!

So...why would I be bringing forth that most limp-wristed of epithet songs (from "Camelot," if you remember...and say it loud and clear if you have not...)? I mean, c'mahn!....knights...singing "Fie on Goodness!" Oh, yeah...you guys mean business! "Fie on Goodness," my Aunt Sally!

I'm in a foul, foul mood. Lots to do tonight and I got home real late, so I'll be up late. And I had to walk in, because my car is parked up on the Main Road so I can get out in the morning. My finger hurts, and I'm typing. The dog is being a jerk. The cat's harassing me. My blood sugar's low, and I'm probably anemic. I should probably eat. And drink. And smoke. Toss on "
Lush Life" and put it on "loop." Life sucks tonight. The combination of snow on the ground and responsibilities on the 'morrow have a tendency to create that kind of mood in me.

And then I see this:
http://men.msn.com/articlepm.aspx?cp-documentid=1628365&GT1=8991

And my big question is: Why is this in the Lifestyle:Men section?

No. Work was fine. Then I did some stuff in Seattle (mail--got a check!--and the LCS, where I had a two-week pile-up of funny-books), then I went to Burien to get my car looked at for a pesky rattle that makes me think the whole thing will fly apart on the freeway, only today there's no rattle. I tell the guy who runs the service department that and he says..."Then I'm not gonna work on it. Not if there's a $100-an-hour serviceman working on it. I'd be wasting your money! When it does it again, bring it in. We'll fix it then and there...but I'm not going to waste your money."

So, cool. I take care of the busines I had down there, and start my drive back to the Island.

I say "start." At 3:45pm.

At about the First Avenue Bridge, it starts to rain. By the time I'm on the Viaduct, the clouds are threatening and the hail starts. Out of the Tunnel, it's snowing, but I'm still moving forward. I get to I-5 and it's still sleeting, but the traffic is now crawling at about 5 mph. And it continues to do so all the way up to Lynnwood. Now the speed stays constant, but the weather doesn't. The snow-storm literally goes over us and is done in 30 minutes. But the cars. They stay as slow. There are no accidents. No tires deflated or off. But there are...abandoned vehicles. We continue driving 5 mph, while the road is what is officially called "bare and wet." This could be rain now. But we are still moving at 5 miles per hour. At my exit I veer off and I'm soon doing the speed limit. I think to myself that I've heard about bad conditions in Schmuckilteo on the radio, so there's no way...NO way I'll make the 6:00pm ferry. But the Incredible Schmuckilteo Speedway (yes, that's what it's called...you'd expect 54 funny cars cruisng the loop!) is clear. In fact, it's almost abandoned. I stop for gas, because you never know, and gasoline, like life, is cheap on the Speedway. But I drive down, give my ferry ticket to the Man, and I drive right on to the 1800 ferry. Amazing.

And, as we get no AM radio signal, I take it as an excuse to not listen to the Commander-in-Cheat tell us he's bombing Cambodia ('cause it worked so well the last time). Over to our friend, Mr. Keith Olbermann...



Keith's P.O.'d. And there's this...
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/01/10/olbermann-a-look-backward-at-the-commanders-credibility/

So, I miss "W" and another thought occurs to me. The only reason traffic was going so slow was not the snow...the streets were fine...it was the fear of snow and panicky drivers. What took me 2 1/2 hours could have been considerably shortened if someone, somewhere was just more on the ball. And those folks put more folks at risk far back down the line, when snow was falling. I get on the Island, and pick up the dog from the sitter's. I'm tired. But the further I drive up the Island, the more snow there is. Finally, after slipping and sliding I pull into the street and just to be on the safe side, I park up where I can get quick access to the closest main road and the dog and I walk to the house, me carrying a bunch of groceries, and the dog carrying on, not minding and not "heeling" and I can't do anything about except yell at him to return (which he does) and admonish him. But I'm doing it a lot. I'm home at 8pm. I'm exhausted. I'm cranky. I feel beat up. There's two inches of snow on the ground that I'll deal with tomorrow. And lots to do.

But the house is warm. And we're safe for awhile. I can work with that. *Sigh* "Hump-day," indeed!

Grrrr

But I can't leave it at that. At the Ranch, someone showed me a movie that "I just HAD to watch." *Sigh* I usually hate those. But surprisingly, I liked it. It made me laugh. I also found it rather clever, while being dumb as a stump and having no budget to speak of. And lots of stylized violence. Plus, it's the perfect film for the mood I'm in.

It's called "Robot Bastard!" and here's the link:
http://www.robotbastard.com/ (Yeah, natch!)

Be sure and check out the trailers--particularly the Japanese one.

Oh, one more thing: The price of a barrel of oil dropped $2.14 to $51.88. $2.14! Gasoline prices in the area are still at their Thanksgiving-Christmas levels.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I read the article on the big asteroid, that's not good. That will make a mighty big kerplunk! You think us humans will be smart enough to do something about it? Maybe the aliens will be around by then to save our asses. Steve

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Well, like they said, if they act soon enough they can toss a couple of those KEI's into its husk and it'll do the trick over time. A little shift over few million miles and it'll all be good, and then Robert Duvall and Bruce Willis don't have to die saving the planet.

Walaka said...

When the animated Superman went up against one of those, he found a giant alien android tied to the back, didn't he?

Sorry you had such a crappy Wednesday. I read this just after I had finished posting about my great Thursday and you made me feel guilty. A little. For a minute.

Oh - check my comix blog for the cover.

"Yojimbo_5" said...

wull.......I got better.