Monday, February 26, 2007

Oh, no, no. Thank YOUUUU!!

Alright, the stars are off the streets and right where they should be...at home recovering from massive hang-overs and self-congratulatory overdoses.

I've now been asked a couple times "what I think." And this was my VERY snarky (but slightly edited) reply Monday morning, after looking at a list of the winners. Oh! And I've changed the font-color since they went "green." "Hollywood" goes "green." I'll believe it when Vegas goes "green."

As I have no cable and no desire for such, I didn't/couldn't watch it.

I thought the Best Sounding Film of last year was "The Fountain." It looked nice, too. But despite that it was one of the worst movies I saw/heard last year. What won? "Letters from...?" I'd have personally given it to the same guys for "Flags..." but hey...six of one....

The Abigail Breslin nomination is a joke when you think of the kid from "Pan's Labyrinth." Or even Dakota Fanning for "Charlotte's Web." Jennifer Hudson was a fine choice for just stopping the show in "Dreamgirls." Someone should have. Cate Blanchett can't win Best Supporting every year.

I LIKE the fact that Alan Arkin won ("it IS brain surgery!"*)...finally. I mean, how many times can you be the Best Thing in a movie and not get something? I'd have been happier to see Marky-Mark win for what was a really GREAT performance against all odds amongst a group that SHOULD have acted rings around him. He and Alec Baldwin were the best things about "The Departed." And as I said in my review, Scorsese acknowledged the fact by giving a one-on-one between the two of them some fancy-schmancy inspired Scorsese camera moves (The only thing I can compare it to was Darren McGavin's terrific (and uncredited) role in "The Natural"--every actor in the room is making 20-100 times what he's making, but he waltzes in and acts like he owns the place. I'm not a Mark Wahlberg fan, but he was terrific). I'd like to see "Little Children" because I like the director, and want to see Jackie Earle Haley's performance.

"The Departed" is just not that good a film, hands down. It's derivative (doubly so as "Infernal Affairs" was inspired by Scorsese movies), but Scorsese has to get his Lifetime Achievement Award for SOMEthing. I'd have been happy with "The Queen" which is wickedly well-done, or "Letters from..." (except it that should have been "Flags of Our Fathers").

For the script, "Children of Men" should have won over "The Departed" (although it had some zinging good dialogue), for the sheer deconstruction and re-build that Cuaron made of it. "Borat" being nominated was a joke.

The Academy has long exhibited that they are tone-deaf. They did so again last night, giving "Babel" the award for score. Santoalalla (he won last year for writing 15 minutes of guitar music for "Brokeback Mountain") demonstrated that he could ape world music, but that's Composition 101 for any composer. It should have been Alexandre Desplat for "The Queen" or better still Javier (something or other) for "Pan's Labyrinth" which was inspired from opening note to final fade.

Jack went bald as a plea to Britney Spears for a date, I think.

There was no line about "This broadcast's gone on so long Congress wants to withhold funding?" I think Ellen DeGeneres is terrific.

Other than that, I have no opinion at all.

I get to vote on the Emmy's within a couple of months. Isn't that ironic?

* In a recording studio in town there is a big T-shirt where Adam Arkin (Alan's kid-who does some voice-over work there) wrote: "It's not brain surgery." Right below it is Alan's reply: "It IS brain surgery!" And ya know, you can hear exactly how Alan would say that...

No comments: