Friday, April 06, 2007

Information Gathering/Wool Gathering

Well, it hasn't been the best week for advancing my career, but a lot of leg-work, a lot of investigation, a lot of fact-gathering, and a lot of questions have been the order of the week. That...and a couple of cancelled sessions, a cancelled/rescheduled lunch, and a genuine fill-in session at the end of the week. In fact, I'm writing from the studio now (yeah, the session is done)

Funny about that session. It started as a simple one-hour voice session that cancelled and turned into an all-day affair recording a book-on-tape. A book-on-tape with Robert Fulghum. Robert "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" Fulghum. I recorded his second book "It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It" way back in the 6th Avenue studio days. Then three years ago, I recorded his 15th Anniversary edition of "Everything I Need to Know..." We joked about "See ya Next Time." Well, this is the "next time." I left the Island about 5:30 for an 8am start at the Studio. He showed up right on time and visibly started when he saw me. "Deja Vu..." he chuckled. "Well, then, this will be easy, today." And it was. Fulghum is one of the nicest guys around with an intense curiosity and incredible stamina (you have to be...he read his entire book, unabridged, in two days, and for most of it he was standing...and on-mike...and engaged...and engaging). And very easy to talk to...a good speaker and a good listener. Extraordinarily personable. It would be nice for everybody to have a one-on-one with him, and it would dispel the cookie-cutter image of the "Refrigerator-Magnet-Philosopher." Always a pleasure. A pleasure all ways.

Next week: more freelance, more hustling, more resume-dispatching, but the same number of fingers crossed. Have a Good Friday, and don't keep your eggs in one basket.

No comments: