Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It's the Same Old Song--Howard Ashman II

The "I Want" Songs of Howard Ashman II

They're called the "I Want" Songs in musicals--those interludes where the protagonist declares their ambitions and desires...and basically announce what the ending of any self-respecting happy-ending musical is going to be. There's "The Impossible Dream" from "Man of LaMancha," for example. "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" from "My Fair Lady." "Somewhere" from "West Side Story."

This week, I'm offering up the "I Want" Songs of Howard Ashman. Why? During my job search, I'm in an intense "I Want" mode, and Ashman's are the ones that stick in my head. They have a sophistication of language and tone while doing its duty advancing the plot. And they have attitude. Bags of attitude. In fact, Ashman's more-hip tone is one of the charms of his lyrics, though sometimes they can come across as harsh.


Here's the other "I Want" song from "Little Shop of Horrors." It's Audrey's dream of an idyllic magazine-picture-perfect suburban life "somewhere that's green." If you've seen the musical on stage (but not the movie, however--*harumph*) you know that's exactly where she ends up. For those of who want more than just the lyrics, you can proceed to Stage Right where there are videos Of Marginal Interest (they'll be a part of the Archive edition of this post, as well)

Here's "Somewhere That's Green."


[Audrey]
I know Seymour's the greatest
But I'm dating a semi-sadist
So I got a black eye
And my arm's in a cast
Still, that Seymour's a cutie
Well, if not, he's got inner beauty
And I dream of a place
Where we could be together at last


A matchbox of our own
A fence of real chain link,
A grill out on the patio
Disposal in the sink
A washer and a dryer
and an ironing machine
In a tract house that we share
Somewhere that's green.


He rakes and trims the grass
He loves to mow and weed
I cook like Betty Crocker
And I look like Donna Reed
There's plastic on the furniture
To keep it neat and clean
In the Pine-Sol scented air
Somewhere that's green


Between our frozen dinner
And our bedtime, nine-fifteen
We snuggle watchin' Lucy
On our big, enormous twelve-inch screen


I'm his December Bride
He's Father, he Knows Best
Our kids watch Howdy Doody
As the sun sets in the west
A picture out of Better
Homes and Gardens magazine
Far from Skid Row
I dream we'll go
somewhere that's green.


No comments: