Thursday, May 17, 2007

It's the Same Old Song--Howard Ashman IV

The "I Want" Songs of Howard Ashman IV

They're called the "I Want" Songs in musicals--those interludes where the protagonist declares their ambitions and desires...and basically announce what the ending of any self-respecting happy-ending musical is going to be. There's "The Impossible Dream" from "Man of LaMancha," for example. "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" from "My Fair Lady." "Somewhere" from "West Side Story."


This week, I'm offering up the "I Want" Songs of Howard Ashman. Why? During my job search, I'm in an intense "I Want" mode, and Ashman's are the ones that stick in my head. They have a sophistication of language and tone while doing its duty advancing the plot. And they have attitude. Bags of attitude. In fact, Ashman's more-hip tone is one of the charms of his lyrics, though sometimes they can come across as harsh.

This is a tough one to get through without a traffic cop or a map--it's the opening volley of "Beauty and the Beast," called "Belle," featurng scores of cast-members (most of whom show up for just a line or two) in the "quiet village" inhabited by the beauty of the title. The song pulls multiple duties, combining a look at the day-to-day routine of the town, the introduction of the heroine and her attitude towards that routine and her ambitions, the town-people's reactions to her, as well as the intoduction to the villain of the piece, and everybody's reaction to him!

It's a lot to wade through, but the miracle of the song is it works as story, as narrative and it's a damned good song doing its jobs efficiently, and entertainingly. It's no wonder that the production made a smooth transition to Broadway--more than any other of the Disney projects, "Beauty" has the veneer of some of the best Broadway musicals. For those of who want more than just the lyrics, you can proceed to Stage Right where there are videos Of Marginal Interest (they'll be a part of the Archive edition of this post, as well)

Here's "Belle" from "Beauty and the Beast."


[Belle:]
Little town
It's a quiet village
Ev'ry day
Like the one before
Little town
Full of little people
Waking up to say:

[Townsfolk:]
Bonjour!
Bonjour!
Bonjour! Bonjour! Bonjour!

[Belle:]
There goes the baker with his tray, like always
The same old bread and rolls to sell
Ev'ry morning just the same
Since the morning that we came
To this poor provincial town
(speaking)

[Baker:] Good Morning, Belle!
[Belle:] 'Morning, Monsieur.
[Baker:] Where are you off to?
[Belle:] The bookshop. I just finished the most wonderful story
about a beanstalk and an ogre and a -
[Baker:] That's nice. (Marie! The baguettes! Hurry up! )
(singing resumes)

[Townsfolk:]
Look there she goes that girl is strange, no question
Dazed and distracted, can't you tell?
Never part of any crowd
'Cause her head's up on some cloud
No denying she's a funny girl that Belle

[Man I:]
Bonjour
[Woman I:]
Good day
[Man I:]
How is your fam'ly?
[Woman II:]
Bonjour
[Man II:]
Good day
[Woman II:] How is your wife?
[Woman III:]
I need six eggs
[Man III:]
That's too expensive
[Belle:]
There must be more than this provincial life
(speaking)
[Bookseller:] Ah, Belle.
[Belle:] Good Morning. I've come to return the book I borrowed.
[Bookseller:] Finished already?
[Belle:] Oh, I couldn't put it down. Have you got anything new?
[Bookseller:] Ha Ha! Not since yesterday.
[Belle:] That's all right. I'll borrow . . . . . this one!
[Bookseller:] That one? But you've read it twice!
[Belle:] Well, it's my favorite! Far off places, daring swordfights,
magic spells, a prince in disguise -
[Bookseller:] If you like it all that much, it's yours!
[Belle:] But sir!
[Bookseller:] I insist.
[Belle:] Well, thank you. Thank you very much!
(singing resumes)

[Townsfolk:]
Look there she goes that girl is so peculiar
I wonder if she's feeling well
With a dreamy far-off look
And her nose stuck in a book
What a puzzle to the rest of us is Belle

[Belle:]
Oh, isn't this amazing?
It's my fav'rite part because you'll see
Here's where she meets Prince Charming
But she won't discover that it's him 'til chapter three

[Woman:]
Now it's no wonder that her name means "beauty"
Her looks have got no parallel

[Shopkeeper:]
But behind that fair facade
I'm afraid she's rather odd
Very diff'rent from the rest of us

[Townsfolk:]
She's nothing like the rest of us
Yes, diff'rent from the rest of us is Belle
(speaking)

[LeFou:] Wow! You didn't miss a shot, Gaston! You're the greatest
hunter in the whole world!
[Gaston:] I know.
[LeFou:] No beast alive stands a chance against you. Ha ha ha! And
no girl, for that matter.
[Gaston:] It's true, LeFou. And I've got my sights set on that one.
[LeFou:] Hm! The inventor's daughter?
[Gaston:] She's the one - the lucky girl I'm going to marry.
[LeFou:] But she's -
[Gaston:] The most beautiful girl in town.
[LeFou:] I know, but -
[Gaston:] That makes her the best. And don't I deserve the best?
[LeFou:] Well, of course! I mean you do, but -
(singing resumes)

[Gaston:]
Right from the moment when I met her, saw her
I said she's gorgeous and I fell
Here in town there's only she
Who is beautiful as me
So I'm making plans to woo and marry Belle
[Bimbettes:]
Look there he goes
Isn't he dreamy?
Monsieur Gaston
Oh he's so cute
Be still my heart
I'm hardly breathing
He's such a tall, dark, strong and handsome brute
(Gaston and Townspeople counter-point)

[Man I:]
Bonjour!
[Gaston:] Pardon
[Man II:] Good day
[Man III:] Mais oui!
[Matron:] You call this bacon?
[Woman I:] What lovely grapes!
[Man IV:] Some cheese
[Woman II:] Ten yards
[Man IV:] one pound
[Gaston:] 'scuse me!
[Cheese merchant:] I'll get the knife
[Gaston:] Please let me through!
[Woman I:] This bread -
[Man V:] Those fish -
[Woman I:] it's stale!
[Man V:] they smell!
[Baker:] Madame's mistaken.

[Belle:]
There must be more than this provincial life!

[Gaston:]
Just watch, I'm going to make Belle my wife!

[Townsfolk:]
Look there she goes a girl who's strange but special
A most peculiar mad'moiselle
It's a pity and a sin
She doesn't quite fit in
'Cause she really is a funny girl
A beauty but a funny girl
She really is a funny girl
That Belle

Reprise

(speaking)

[Belle:] Is he gone? Can you imagine? He asked me to marry him.
Me, the wife of that boorish, brainless . . .

(singing resumes)

"Madame Gaston!"
Can't you just see it?
"Madame Gaston!"
His "little wife"
No sir! Not me!
I guarantee it
I want much more than this provincial life
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere
I want it more than I can tell
And for once it might be grand
To have someone understand
I want so much more than they've got planned



No comments: