Monday, August 28, 2006

Post Emmy Post

Well, I came out 1 for 4 in voting the Emmy's, and, frankly I couldn't be more surprised that the "1" won. I don't even LIKE that show, but I'm only supposed to judge on the content supplied to me by the Academy (supplied to them by the producers/networks) and of the 5 nominees, that one rocked, having shed itself of some extraneous cast-members that only managed to gum up the storyline by having to include them in more outlandish and unbelievable situations.

So that's another Emmy season over and done with. What did I think of the show?

I didn't watch it.

I don't have television reception here, and have decided not to get cable at all.

Ironic, no?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more thing about the critical reaction to the Emmys and then I'll shut up about it.
There's an aspect to it that's really weird and it is this: What the hell do they care? I mean, really, it's just an awards show--one of many, in fact. I mean, look at the tone of the McFarland piece. It's like she takes it as a personal affront that "their" shows--and they have nothing to do with them at all, other than being ersatz cheerleaders (and frankly poor, unenthusiastic ones at that)--don't get nominated or win. And it gets so hysterical that she throws out any journalistic ethic and exaggerates the number of times "West Wing" has won Best Drama Series. A million? Really? Try 999, 996 less. That's not asking too much to hew a little closer to truth, isn't it (And frankly, during the Sorkin years "The West Wing" deserved it, despite "The Sopranos" hitting quite a few episodes out of the park)?

So, what's the deal? There's no personal stake in it, is there? Or is there some perceived hurt feelings that the television industry doesn't agree with their more learned opinion? Maybe it's a case of deadline desperation and this was good enough to fill five columns. Realistically...we are just talking about television here (the little box with lights and wires that has never lived up to its potential), the American equivalent to bread and circuses that's set up to distract us from issues we should be concerned about, like what our elected representatives are doing in our names, with our tax dollars.

Anyway, I've wasted too much of my life thinking, writing and kvetching about it. There's more important things to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For instance, improving my verbal skills. It seems like I've had more conversations lately that I acknowledge things with the word "Exactly." It's become a crutch, and worse, I'm noticing other people do it in conversation with me, like I'm infecting them with it. Time to take the speech off "auto-pilot" and engage the brain before replying with a pat answer.

"Precisely." That will be my crutch for awhile.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is anyone else concerned that Our Seattle Mariners seem to have been kidnapped and replaced by a...baseball team?

They come off a road-trip of Schulz-ian proportions, to face some of the best teams in the league. And they take two from the Yankees. Then sweeeep Boston.

Who the hell are these guys?

I'm not a sports fan of any stripe or intensity, but I am concerned. There may be some empty pod-husks in the clubhouse at Safeco Field. If they do well against the AL West teams that have been giving them grief this entire season, it may be time to call out the National Guard to fend off an alien invasion.

Oh, right...they're in Iraq...and Louisiana...and watching those razor-wire laser-walls at the border.

Maybe Dick Cheney can lead a bunch of militia-members. Sorry, no, bad idea.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody have a good week. Big weekend's coming up.

No comments: