Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Feelin' Good

Starting a marathon of freelance, with tutorials to edit and crunch (by Thursday), sweetening three animations for some old friends (who've payed me very well...and just gave me carte-blanche on it--SWEET!) and I'm working split-shifts recording foley for a film in the evening. On top of that, I'm watching a lot of television in my capacity of being an Emmy voter (I have to watch an hour of "Two and a Half Men" tonight...oog!). This may entail some late nights. Especially considering I'm working 'til 10:30 pm, then have a 2 hour commute home (One bright spot is that the imminent terror attack of the ferries won't happen around midnight. Sheesh!) K.'s working in town for three days (with dog in tow, so no "sitter" traffic). It's just me and my work.

But there is a bright spot to all this...I'm working, for one...fine enjoyable work.

But today I had a physical that I'd been planning for a couple of months. My Bad cholesterol is High, My Good Cholesterol is Low, My Sugar level is higher than the Norm (but nowhere near diabetes level), my tri-glycerides are low. I'm a little overweight. This is all shitty news.

But my blood pressure is lower than the consumer confidence index. Lower than Bush's approval rating. Lower than a metaphor for something really low. For some reason, that has nothing to do with heredity, I have ice-water in my veins. And when Dr. Smith took out his little pocket calculator and fed my shitty statistics into his little Cornonary Calculator, I came up with a 10% chance.

10%. "Putting you on cholesterol medicine would reduce your chances another 3% (snaps the thing shut) Why bother?"

Yes! So I'll eat less chocolate chip cookies. More fruit on my healthy-healthy cereal in the morning. More stir fry, even less fast-food (to approximately none). Chips are already out. More wood-chopping. Longer dog walks. More visits to the gym.

Like my blood, life is a little sweeter.

(Sorry to gloat)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Song in me head: Still Nino Rota's score for "La Strada"
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Coming up: Some tips for talking on talk shows, a new feature (finally, maybe), more poetry of spam, maybe a joke, but expect more Hitchcock on Sunday--get your "Hitchcock Blonde" vote in

No comments: