Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jana!

I've known Jana since 1980 when she worked in the KIRO mailroom. Every day she'd walk by my office with her mail-cart and we developed a "kidding" relationship fueled by junk food, buttressed with leaps of comedic logic and involuntary jags of laughter. We've stayed buddies this whole time--every year birthdays are celebrated and lunches planned (we're currently one behind...well, today, two behind). We've consoled each other through heartbreaks and bad jobs. When I got divorced, she got me out of my house and back into the world. When she got divorced, I helped her move and saw her through getting her driver's license. We know each other's pets like they were our own. We know each other's strengths and our weaknesses and we revel in the one and overlook the other.

She's a scamp. A goofball. And a real pal.

Happy Birthday, kiddo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmph! That picture is about 16 years old & unflattering at that. Also, it was taken by the infamous boyfriend "Dave" from my KIRO days (aka "The Big Stupe") Although in later years he was quite nice; just not boyfriend material. But I digress...

We celebrated mutual birthdays in July at Red Mill Burger in Magnolia, & then let our dogs play. Jim had his rental camry in little old lady baby blue (he still won't let me drive him anywhere; I wonder why. Could it have anything to do with me going from 0 to 60+ on 15th NW between Market Street & the Ballard Bridge? Nah)And his dog pooped in my kitchen, too.

She Who Is Jana

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Hey, I took that picture!

Dave was long gone, and you were living by Greenlake. I don't think you were even working at KIRO at that time (How would I get a picture from Dave??).

But my dog did poop in your kitchen. That is undeniable.

Anonymous said...

Well, I should explain - Dave used to visit me when he was in Seattle & did visit me several times at the Greenlake house, taking pictures of me, my paintings & Ollie & Tad (Tad! poor Tad! sniff...) He sent me copies & I thought I gave that picture to you. There was another one; a head shot. But maybe you did take them & gave me copies.

What I liked about "An Unfinished Life" was the girl who played Robert Redford's granddaughter. I thought her performance was very natural & appealing.
Jana