Wednesday, November 28, 2007

K's back! (November)

A little later than planned. A little earlier than expected. K's* back and we celebrated by taking Smokey (who was so excited to see her he jumped onto the hood of my car!) for a long, long walk along "Two Cliffs" Beach. The tide was high (but not as high as its gonna be--they're expecting records off the Oregon coast!), and Nature has done some re-surfacing work and pushed a lot of the driftwood further North. Still, we walked all the way to the point--a solid two-hour walk with a dog that wanted us to throw his floating chicken every step of the way--then went to "Besta Round Pizza" for a meat-ball sandwich and a spinach/chicken salad split between us. I did some provisioning and K went home to a hot shower. It's good to have her back. She's around until after Christmas, then back to Eugene.

Today's a day of recycling--I take the junk out to the recycle place in CoupeDeVille, and I start chopping more wood for an anticipated series of soggy, frigid days--maybe another couple of rounds will be stored away. Who knows?

Tomorrow, it's brunch with Jean-o, and an afternoon session with The Agents--they have a handful of projects through Christmas, which is good because I was starting to feel a little strapped. In between I might stop at the Fantagraphics Bookstore--they have some early original "Peanuts" strips on display, and I'm always interested in seeing where the touch-ups and paste-overs occurred--I know Schulz would appreciate that. And if the Agents don't happen--I might have to see a guy about a cattlegun.

I've got a ton of reviews to write, from the SLC and three first-runners: one is a film I'm half-hearted about, and the other two were SO good, that I've combined them into a mega-review, with some assistance by Raymond Chandler. Hope it lives up to its potential. And there are a couple just arrived that even K has expressed interest in--she's still waiting for "The Golden Compass" and is half-way through "The Subtle Knife" in anticipation. I'm reading "Atonement" before the film comes out, but the book is currently on "Pause" while Life happens. It'll take two days max. That's my week.
Thanks to everyone who's written in. Keep reading.

* One of the topics at various "LaRonde" get-togethers is that some folks having not SEEN K, suspect that K is really a "K," and doesn't, in fact, exist, ala Corky's "wife" in "Waiting for Guffman." Oh, she's real, alright, as Walaka, and The Gang of Four, and most other folks we've known the past ten years can attest. But (if I can use bird-watching terms) as K's basic nature is migratory, it should be noted that her responsibility is merely to exist, it is the responsibility of the keen observer to be alert to her presence.

No comments: